A case of non-classical celiac disease
Celiac disease is an immune-mediated enteropathy caused by gluten exposure, occurring in genetically susceptible individuals. Although its typical presentation mainly includes gastrointestinal symptoms, non-classical forms are becoming increasingly frequent. In this report, a case of non-classical celiac disease in a seven-year-old child presenting with severe oligoarthralgia is described. With this report, the authors aim to increase awareness of celiac disease and the variability of its presentation as a way to enable a timely diagnosis and treatment, reduce the burden of disease, and improve health-related quality of life.
- Fasano A, Catassi C. Celiac disease. N Engl J Med 2012;367:2419-26.
- Ediger TR, Hill ID. Celiac Disease. Pediatr Rev 2014;35:409-16.
- Lebwohl B, Ludvigsson JF, Green P. Celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity. BMJ 2015;351:h4347.
- Mustalahti K, Catassi C, Reunanen A, Fabiani E, Heier M, McMillan S, et al. The prevalence of celiac disease in Europe: results of a centralized, international mass screening project. Annals of Medicine, 2010;42:587–95.
- Antunes H, Abreu I, Nogueiras A, Sá C, Gonçalves C, Cleto P, et al. Primeira determinação de prevalência de doença celíaca numa população portuguesa. Acta Med Port 2006;19:115-20.
- Chand N, Mihas AA. Celiac Disease - Current concepts in diagnosis and treatment. J Clin Gastroenterol 2006;40:3-14.
- Ivarsson A, Hernell O, Stenlund H, et al. Breast-feeding protects against celiac disease. Am J Clin Nutr 2002;75:914-21.
- Vriezinga SL, Auricchio R, Bravi E, et al. Randomized feeding intervention in infants at high risk for celiac disease. N Engl J Med 2014;371:1304-15.
- Lionetti E, Castellaneta S, Francavilla R, et al. Introduction of gluten, HLA status, and the risk of celiac disease in children. N Engl J Med 2014;371:1295-303.
- Hill ID, Dirks MH, Liptak GS, et al. Guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of celiac disease in children: recommendations of the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2005;40:1.
- Husby S, Koletzko S, Korponay-Szabó IR, Mearin ML, Philips A, Shamir R, et al. European Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition Guidelines for the Diagnosis of Coeliac Disease. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2012;54:136-60.
- Szakács Z, Mátrai P, Hegyi P, Szabó I, Vincze Á, Balaskó M, Mosdósi B, Sarlós P, Simon M, Márta K, Mikó A, Pécsi D, Demcsák A, Bajor J. Younger age at diagnosis predisposes to mucosal recovery in celiac disease on a gluten-free diet: A meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2017;12:e0187526.
Copyright (c) 2019 NASCER E CRESCER - BIRTH AND GROWTH MEDICAL JOURNAL
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Copyright and access
This journal offers immediate free access to its content, following the principle that providing free scientific knowledge to the public provides greater global democratization of knowledge.
The works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial 4.0 International license.
Nascer e Crescer – Birth and Growth Medical Journal do not charge any submission or processing fee to the articles submitted.