A case of Swyer-James-Macleod syndrome diagnosed in adolescence
Keywords:Adolescent, Asthma, Hyperlucent lung, Swyer-James-MacLeod Syndrome
Swyer-James-MacLeod syndrome, or unilateral hyperlucent lung syndrome, is a rare entity associated with post-infectious bronchiolitis. Clinical presentation may include recurrent chest infections or exertional dyspnea, or it may result from an incidental finding following chest X-ray. Treatment is usually individualized and ranges from conservative management to surgical intervention.
Here in is described the case of a 17-year-old boy with a history of asthma and allergic rhinitis, who was diagnosed with Swyer-JamesMacLeod syndrome in the context of a respiratory infection and careful chest x-ray examination.
This case highlights the importance of raising awareness and accurately recognizing this rare entity, in order to optimally manage patients and avoid unnecessary treatment
2. Swyer PR, James G. A case of unilateral pulmonary emphysema. Thorax. 1953; 8:133-6.
3. MacLeod WM. Abnormal transradiancy of one lung. Thorax. 1954; 9:147-53.
4. Capela C, Gouveia P, Sousa M, Regadas M. Adult diagnosis of Swyer-James-McLeod syndrome: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2011; 5:2.
5. Mehra S, Basnayake T, Falhammar H, Heraganahally S, Tripathi S. Swyer-James-MacLeod syndrome-a rare diagnosis presented through two adult patients. Respirol Case Reports. 2017;5:1-5.
6. Abba A, Al-Mobeireek A. Clinical spectrum of Swyer-JamesMacLeod syndrome in adults. Saudi Med J. 2003; 24:195-8.
7. Chaucer B, Chevenon M, Toro C, Lemma T, Grageda M. SwyerJames-MacLeod syndrome: a rare finding and important differential in the ED setting. Am Journal Emerg Med. 2016; 34:1329.e3-e4.
8. Wojcicki K, Sindel A, Berry A, Krieger R, Reuther W. An uncommon obliterative lung disease: Swyer-James-McLeod syndrome. Intern Emerg Med. 2015; 10:881–2.
9. Machado D, Lima F, Marques C, Monteiro R. Swyer-JamesMacleod syndrome as a rare cause of unilateral hyperlucent lung: Three case reports. Medicine (Baltimore). 2019; 98:e14269.
10. Turcu D, Dupa S, Turcanu A, Mihaescu T. A Case of Unilateral Hyperlucency of the Lung: a Rare Adult Occurrence of SwyerJames-MacLeod Syndrome. Maedica (Buchar). 2018; 13:143–6.
How to Cite
Copyright and access
This journal offers immediate free access to its content, following the principle that providing free scientific knowledge to the public provides greater global democratization of knowledge.
The works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial 4.0 International license.
Nascer e Crescer – Birth and Growth Medical Journal do not charge any submission or processing fee to the articles submitted.