Van Neck-Odelberg Disease: A rare cause of childhood limping
Keywords:hip, joint pain, M. pneumoniae, Van Neck-Odelberg
Introduction: Joint pain and limping are common in pediatric age. Assessment of a child with joint pain requires differentiating benign conditions from those requiring urgent medical attention.
Case report: A previously healthy nine-year-old boy was brought to the Emergency Department with fever and pain in the left ankle and hip associated with limping. He reported fever, abdominal pain, and slightly dry cough two weeks before admission.
Blood analysis revealed an elevation in erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein serum concentration. Serology tests were positive for Mycoplasma pneumoniae acute infection and imaging studies enabled the diagnosis of Van Neck-Odelberg disease (VND).
Discussion/Conclusion: Presence of joint pain often represents a diagnostic challenge, especially in children who present with fever and elevation of acute-phase reactants. VND is a rare cause of limping and in this case corresponded to an imaging finding. The final diagnosis was reactive arthritis secondary to M. pneumoniae infection
2. Harjacek M, Ostojic J, Rode O. Juvenile spondyloarthropathies associated with Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection. Clin Rheumatol 2006; 25:470–5.
3. Sanchez-Vargas FM, Gomez-Duarte OG. Mycoplasma pneumoniae-an emerging extra-pulmonary pathogen. Clin Microbial Infect 2008; 14:105–17.
4. Narita M. Pathogenesis of extrapulmonary manifestations of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection with special reference to pneumonia. J Infect Chemother 2010; 16:162–9.
5. Sztajnbok1 F, Fonseca A, Campos L. Espondiloartropatias juvenis. Revista Adolescência e Saúde. 2004; 1:6-9.
6. Wait A, Gaskill T, Sarwar Z, Busch M. Van neck disease: Osteochondrosis of the ischiopubic synchondrosis. J Pediatr Orthop 2011; 31:520–4.
7. Kvien TK, Glennas A, Melby K, Granfors K, Andrup O, Karstensen B, et al. Reactive arthritis: incidence, triggering agents and clinical presentation. J Rheumatol 1994; 21:115–22.
8. Cole BC. Mycoplasma interactions with the immune system: implications for disease pathology. ASM News 1996; 62:471–75.
9. Burmester GR, Daser A, Kamradt T, Krause A, Mitchison NA, Sieper J, et al. Immunology of reactive arthritides. Annu Rev Immunol 1995; 13:229–50.
10. Keats TE. Plain film radiography: Sources of diagnostic errors. In: Resnick D, editor. Diagnosis of Bone and Joint Disorders. 3rd ed. San Diego: Saunders; 1996; p. 27.
11. Herneth AM, Trattnig S, Bader TR, Ba-Ssalamah A, Ponhold W, Wandl-Vergesslich K, et al. MR imaging of the ischiopubic synchondrosis. Magn Reson Imaging. 2000; 18:519–24.
How to Cite
Copyright and access
This journal offers immediate free access to its content, following the principle that providing free scientific knowledge to the public provides greater global democratization of knowledge.
The works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial 4.0 International license.
Nascer e Crescer – Birth and Growth Medical Journal do not charge any submission or processing fee to the articles submitted.